7.12.2007

I give up, I give in...

... to both Interpol and Modest Mouse. I'm not sure why... actually, I do know why, it's that contrary streak that rears its head from time to time... but I've struggled for ages now NOT to like them. Interpol seemed too monochromatic. I need variety. And for a stretch there it seemed like everyone who was actually familiar with the sort of bands I liked would insist that I MUST like Modest Mouse. And there, of course, is where that contrary streak kicks in. MUST like? I think not. I will like what I want to like, thank you very much.

Unfortunately, now I find myself wanting to like Modest Mouse. And trying to convince myself it's not hypocritical to do so. And that I'm not jumping on a bandwagon too late-- we all know I like to stay one step ahead of the masses in these matters. Interpol... well, every song I hear still sounds like a blur of sameness, but somehow it's become comforting instead of monotonous.

So I just close my eyes and jump on...

1 comment:

Jennie-Rebecca said...

My first listen to Interpol made me think I could never care about them, but I do, for two reasons:


• they have completely digested their influences (Echo, New Order, the Smiths. et al.) so they sound influenced rather than derivative

• there is an odd pathos in their yet disaffected sound

Don't have the new album yet, but soon, I hope.