2.03.2005

Thoughts on Lunch

For years, the word "lunch" has struck fear in my heart.

It's a meal that too often gets lost in the frenzy of the day--some days I can't pull it together enough to take lunch until 2pm (far too late when breakfast is at 8am)--and most often, I eat sitting in front of my computer, fantasizing about how I would like to eat curled up in a chair while reading a novel. (I maintain, however, that my keyboard is relatively clean, considering...I make sure to disinfect it and go after it with canned air at least once a week ;) )

And it's not just making the time to eat. The big stress is WHAT to eat. There are quite a few options in my work neighborhood (walk outside to get a sandwich from the fantastic French bakery "J'adore", order in from the Chinese run cheap Mexican place, Subway, the prepared food or salad bar from Whole Food)--maybe the problem is that there are too many options and not enough brain-space to think about what I want. So lately I've started *bringing* my lunch to work. (I know this is not nearly as shocking to other people as it is to me--I've been ordering in for years).

Today's offering is smoked Atlantic salmon wrapped around Neufchatel and sprinkled with freshly ground pepper on top of Melba toast...the ground pepper is what really makes it good (and no one said that bringing lunch was supposed to be healthier, right??). Sometimes Stephen makes sandwiches for us with organic salami, which allows me to say "it's okay to eat salami--it's Organic!" But the best part of the whole thing is that I don't have to sit at my desk and figure out what's for lunch. It's the little things...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

CumBahlind Fahms!!!!