11.30.2005

For Shame...

In a very uncharacteristic move, I decided to go Xmas shopping on Sunday. (Usually I'm one of those maniacs running around two days before the holiday, buying gift certificates.) But I made a grave tactical error-- items on my list included a CD and a book, so I decided to go to Portsmouth, and... well... you can probably guess what happened next. Wait until while I hang my head in shame... yes, I left Portsmouth after several hours at Bullmoose Records and River Run Books with 6 CD's and 2 books-- for myself-- and no Xmas presents purchased. In my defense, I did LOOK for the 2 items on my list, they just weren't in stock. I know, I know, no excuse. But it does mean another spree list for the blog, so here goes:

(in alphabetical order)

Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds, Let Love In: When the weather starts to turn cold and grey, Nick just sounds so darn good. Let's face it, a girl can't have too much Nick Cave when staring down a New England winter.

The Cloud Room, The Cloud Room: A band from Michaela's former haunt, Brooklyn. A lot of people seem to like comparing them to Arcade Fire. Probably not a bad comparison. The lead singer has a bit of Bowie to him, I think-- and there's nothing wrong with that.

Doves, Lost souls: Still doing some buying to replace albums lost in the "divorce". Think this oughta do it for the Doves collection.

Elbow, Asleep in the Back: Ditto the explanation for the Doves purchase. Plus, Guy Garvey has the most amazing, ethereal voice-- it gives me chills.

of Montreal, Satanic Panic in the Attic: Yes, the obsession rages on. This one is slightly less disco-rific than the newer one, with a somewhat less "produced" sound, but no less superfantastic. They must tour again soon, and I must be there.

OK Go, Oh No: The video for the single A Million Ways features the band doing a horrible line dance of sorts in their backyard-- it looks like it cost about $50 to make, and is utterly hilarious. It also doesn't hurt that lead singer Damian Kulash is completely swoonworthy. Fun, fun, fun.

OK, alright. I'm heading out Xmas shopping again on Saturday with Mom-- and this time I will NOT buy anything for myself. We're going to Kittery, so that should be safe, right? ...

1 comment:

Michaela said...

I commend you for rebelling against the hegemony of xmas shopping and buying books and cd's for yourself :)