11.03.2005

Working on the Weekend

So, with all the craziness at work lately, I had gotten a bit behind on reviews for a couple of staff members-- something I struggle very hard not to do, but it's difficult with 15 people reporting to you. After trying unsuccessfully to block off time to get them completed during work hours last week, I begrudgingly came to terms with the fact that I was going to have to take time out of my weekend to write them.

Then, spent Saturday watching it snow. YES, SNOW. And not just your typical October flurry-- we're talking several hours of steady snow. By mid-afternoon there were over 2 inches on the ground and the streets were even starting to get slick. I'm sorry to say I used this as an excuse to curl up on my sofa with a book instead of my reviews. (Bad, bad manager.) Promised myself I would do them on Sunday come hell or high water (or blizzard) even if it meant I had to actually drive to the office to get myself to focus on them.

Sunday arrives-- epiphany! (And not in the liturgical sense.) I realize that I cannot focus on work in my apartment, there are just too many distractions. (Read: bbc america) But also realize that the solution does not have to include the office-- I just need to find a place to concentrate, and there's no reason it can't be someplace fun. I choose North Conway. Perhaps not the most environmental of choices considering the current gas crisis, but... the pull of several hours in the car with nothing to do but listen to my new CD's wins out. And it is an incredibly beautiful day for a drive-- snow Saturday, warm and sunny on Sunday. Gotta love New England.

Halfway up Route 16, I happen on the ubiquitous "moose crossing" sign. I scoff to the invisible passenger next to me. "Moose crossing, right! I have been to New Hampshire hundreds of times over the years, and I have never ONCE seen a moose-- nor do I ever expect to. Hmph!" Three miles later, cars swerve off the road, drivers leap out, some clutching cameras. Yup, you guessed it-- MOOSE. Not a very big one, I'd estimate it was just a teenager but, nonetheless, there he/she was-- crossing the road, just a stone's throw from my car. Enter Twilight Zone theme here...

And yes, yes, I did actually complete my overdue reviews-- ensconced on the hood of my car in a parking lot overlooking Crawford Notch. Who says work has to be dreary?

No comments: