11.02.2004

Voting Day in Jersey City

So Stephen and I woke up early and got ourselves out of the house by 7:45am to vote. I've never seen lines so long--although it would have helped if I'd actually remembered what district I was supposed to vote in (note to self: E4...E4....E4). People were generally cheery, and I spied much anti-W paraphenalia (which was heartening, but then NJ is a blue state).

The reality of voting is always so banal. Our district voting location is in the lunchroom of the Jersey City Public Library--it's a gorgeous building, but the lunchroom looks could have been a teacher's lounge at an elementary school. I remember going to Smith School with my parents when I was growing up and waiting while they voted--it seemed like the most extraordinary thing. You got to go into a little booth, pull a curtain, and vote! (And bear in mind that I played "library" and "office" as a small child, too) It was always so strange to see the school gym transformed into a room full of adults instead of dodge-ball flinging kids. Voting is extraordinary--but not in the way that I imagined when I was growing up. It isn't glamorous or exciting, and it feels filled with doubt (does my vote count? Will this really make a difference??) But it is important, and I'm really excited that so many people are turning out to vote.

Now all we need to do is elect the right person...

No comments: